Tuesday, July 24, 2012

my first experience with kidney stones

If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, this is probably old news to you. For my readers who don't follow me on social media platforms or perhaps missed the tweets, I had kidney stones over 4th of July while on vacation. Today I am sharing the experience with you.

While on vacation in Las Vegas over the 4th of July, I woke up one morning with what felt like strong menstraul cramps on the lower left side of my back. I thought nothing of it and D and I left the hotel and walked to breakfast. On the way we stopped at Starbucks for an iced latte. By the time we walked out of MGM and next door to Denny's I was in excruciating pain. We sat down in a booth at Denny's and I started to feel nauseous. I went to the bathroom and came back sheet white. D asked me if I was okay and I said no and that we had to go. We cancelled our order, tipped the waitress, and left. We high-tailed it back to our hotel room where I proceeded to get sick again. I laid in bed all day periodically taking scalding hot baths trying to help my back feel better. I took a nap. I woke up and took some advil. I started to feel better. D and I went to dinner and the same thing happened. I had a drink of iced tea and soon after I was in excruciating pain again. I was getting worried at this point. I had called my doctor earlier in the day and she told me that I should go to an urgent care center at a minimum. She thought I may have a spleen issue, kidney stones, or a cyst that burst.

Going to the hospital or even the urgent care in Las Vegas was the last thing that I wanted to do so I tried to tough it out. Like breakfast, we left mid-dinner taking D's food to go. I couldn't eat. I would just get sick.

About 8pm, I asked D to take me to the urgent care. He did and the urgent care doctor told me that I needed to go to the ER because he thought it was possible that I had kidney stones.

Oh no! I did not want to go to the ER in Vegas at night! I tried to wait til the morning and hope that I woke up the next day as good as new. I took some advils and slept through the night. I woke up the  next day in pain. By 9:30 am I was checked in to the ER. Long story short, I had a CT scan done as well as blood tests and urine tests to find out that I did in fact have a 3mm kidney stone. I was given an antibiotic drip in my IV and was monitored for several hours. Around 6pm I was released to go home with prescriptions for Percocet and Cirpro.

By the time I got back to our hotel I was exhausted but no longer in pain since I had taken a strong pain killer. I was able to go to dinner and even have ice cream without feeling like I was going to pass out from pain. A few hours later, I was doubled over in pain again but this time the pain was not in my back but in my lower left pelvis. I took a pain pill and went to sleep.

The next morning I woke up feeling like a new person. I was not in pain. I felt like a million dollars.
I was able to enjoy my day and go shopping while D played poker. Mid-afternoon I started to feel a slight soreness in my lower left back but I was told by the Dr. that that was normal. He also told me that I would probably pass the stone within 24 hours of leaving the hospital.

I am unsure if I passed the stone or if it broke up into smaller stones but I know that something happened because I was no longer in pain.

I have learned a few things about kidney stones from this experience and I will share in my next post.

8 thoughts:

CassieT said...

Kidney stones are awful! It tends to take me months to pass mine. Are you going to see a Urologist to get blood work done to see if you're a stone producer?

Gina Dixon {Hiya Luv} said...

You have them too!!! They are so bad! My dr didn't tell me to but the ER dr did. Should I?

moonbeamwishes said...

ohmygoodness!! I am so glad that you are better now!! How awful! (Esp. while on vacation and not near your home/own hospital!!) xo

Gina Dixon {Hiya Luv} said...

Thanks friend! It was nuts:)

bravoerunway said...

Oh GIna! I am so glad you are ok. This happened to my bff earlier this year too! She waited for her dad to drive from the suburbs to take her to the hospital. I told her if it happened again to please call me and I'd take her. When you are in pain the minutes just feel like hours...

Gina Dixon {Hiya Luv} said...

That is so true! I also thought that I was too young to get them but evidently children can even get them!!!

Danham said...

Hi There,

Glad you're OK. I went through a similar experience back in May. Mine was a funny incident.. the doctor sent me back home saying I have pulled my abdomenal muscle!! Thank god I didn't trust her and headed to A&E.

Got even more scared to find out there are 50% higher chances of getting it back again once you have it. So doing all I can now inlcuding natural remedies. Good Luck!


Gina Dixon {Hiya Luv} said...

Thanks! I drink water like crazy and try to stay away from anything that can bring on another one! Best of luck to you too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited. myfreecopyright.com registered & protected
Content Hiya Luv | Design Poppiness Designs