Awhile back I decided to update my bathroom and finally got around to doing so with the help of some friends one weekend when D was out of town. I am excited to share with you tips on how to prep for a DIY bathroom makeover as well as share some photos from mine.
1. Create a vision. What do you want to your bathroom to look like? Do you want it to be a relaxing spa-like room or have a beach feel to it? For my bathroom, I knew that I wanted a neutral color on the walls to match the white trim. I loved the idea of palm trees to go with the neutral beige color on the walls with rich chocolate rugs and towels.
2. Think of what colors you are drawn to and start brainstorming paint, linens, rugs, and accessory colors. Visit Pinterest to get some ideas. You can also visit Lowes.com for great tips on picking out colors that will go great with your vision.
3. Clean out unwanted junk from drawers, the medicine cabinet, and under the sink. Make a goodwill pile of all the items you no longer want; don't just throw them away. Your trash may be really useful to someone else.
4. Prep-go shopping at your local hardware store and pick out paint swatches. Go home and try the paint colors on the walls or hold up the paint swatches to the wall. Do you like it? Can you imagine yourself wanting to hang out in a room of that color? Does it match your vision? Once you have your color, you can start shopping for decorative items, accessories, linens, and rugs.
5. Take your time. In order to make sure that we did the bathroom right, we took our time. We took the large mirror off the wall. We took the medicine cabinet off the wall, undid doors and towel racks, removed the toilet, etc. We caulked the bathtub and scrubbed every last inch of the bathroom clean. We then painted the room and waited for it to dry. Then we painted the baseboards and the linen closet door and bathroom door. We reinstalled the toilet, mirror, medicine cabinet, and towel racks. Then we put up the new accessories and linens. After the bathroom was done I did not want to use it. I wanted it to be perfect and clean forever.
Join the 14 million people who have already joined the Clean Hands campaign by using Kleenex Hand Towels, and click here for savings and more!
I was selected for participation in this campaign as a member of Clever Girls Collective.